|← Previous||Next →|
- Characters Introduced: Sendou Takeshi, Yanaoka
- Locations Introduced: Osaka, Nanban, Naniwa Kentou-kai
- Techniques Introduced: Smash (mentioned)
- Mentioned Boxers: Rocky Marciano, Mike Tyson, James J. Braddock
- Title Page Character(s): Umezawa Masahiko, Takemura and Matsuda
After Umezawa and his gang congratulate Ippo on defeating Mashiba and becoming the East Japan Rookie King, they wish him luck on the upcoming All Japan Rookie King Tournament. Ippo informs them that he is withdrawing from the tournament due to his injury, which disappoints the group.
Meanwhile in Osaka's Nanba district, at the Naniwa Boxing Center, it's trainer asks the gym members where "Sendou" is. The trainer goes into the room and finds Sendou (who is revealed to be the West Japan Rookie King) watching Ippo's fights. Sendou who is looking forward to face Ippo, get angry when he hears the news of Ippo's withdrawal, and immediately heads to Tokyo.
When he arrives at the gym, Sendou introduces himself as the western rookie king, and insist repeatedly that Ippo faces him in the all rookie king finals. In his desperation to convince Ippo, he accidentally reveals that he has developed a special move only for that fight.