|Romanized Title:||1965-Nen no appākatto|
|Arc:||Early Days Arc|
|Anime Episodes:||Round 4 (S1 - 04) (p. 1-20)|
|← Previous||Next →|
- Characters Introduced: None
- Techniques Introduced: Uppercut
- Locations Introduced: None
- Mentioned Boxers: Éder Jofre
- Title Page Character(s): Makunouchi Ippo, Miyata Ichirō, Takamura Mamoru
A customer at the Makunouchi Fishing Boat notices Ippo's damaged face and asks his mother, about it. She speaks of his desire to become a boxer and how she opposes it, but the customer reminds her of her husband's strength and kindness as well as how it reflected in Ippo. The customer, who is impressed by Ippo's balance on the boat, tells Ippo that boxing will prevent him from rebelling and advises Ippo to look after her, leaving Ippo confused about the message.
Ippo arrives at the gym for his first day of training and shouts an incredibly loud greeting as he enters, startling everyone and earning himself a punch from Takamura. Kamogawa then tells Ippo to get in the ring train with a jump rope, a feat that Ippo fails horribly. Kamogawa decides to let Ippo work on the mitts instead. Ippo, worrying about causing an injury, lands a straight on the mitts and wonders if he hurt Kamogawa, but the latter is actually pleased with Ippo's strength.
Kamogawa, tells Ippo that his strength may be comparable to that of Miyata's, capturing the latter's attention. Ippo denies, but Kamogawa replies that he would be able to fight at the same level and defeat him in three months. Ippo is told that he is to learn the orthodox uppercut during training and, after being shown the movements, he executes a perfect textbook uppercut identical to that of Éder Jofre's. Kamogawa tells Ippo to throw another uppercut, and once again it misses (as Kamogawa had moved the mitt) but was executed perfectly. Takamura notices Miyata's sharp gaze and realizes that Kamogawa's words towards Ippo was an indirect way of raising Miyata's fighting spirit. Ippo wonders why he got praised despite missing both hits.
- While Ippo is mitt-punching with Kamogawa, it is noted by Takamura that Kamogawa uses wool mitts to create a better sound, and the placement of the mitts makes the boxer target the critical areas.
- The Uppercut is used for the first time.
- Ippo's uppercut is identical to that of Éder Jofre's.
- Ippo will have a rematch with Miyata in three months.
|This Arc's Volumes|
|This Arc's Rounds|